Bossier Chamber Supports RESTORE ACT
Click here to read official letter of support
The RESTORE Act is intended to restore the natural resources, fisheries, beaches, and coastal wetlands of the Gulf Coast States affected by the Deepwater Horizon explosion and sinking. It is also intended to create jobs and revive the economic health of communities in the wake of the Deepwater Horizon disaster.
The RESTORE Act would:
- Establish the Gulf Coast Restoration Trust Fund, which would receive 80% of all administrative, civil and criminal penalties paid by responsible parties in connection with the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, together with any other appropriated funds;
- Allocate Clean Water Act oil spill program penalties to the Gulf Coast States according to a formula;Authorize the Governor of each of the five states to support projects and programs that restore, protect and use the resources of the state; and
- 35% of the total would be allocated in equal shares to the five Gulf Coast States;
- 60% of the total would be allocated to the Gulf Coast Ecosystem Restoration Council;
- 5% would be allocated to a Gulf Coast research, science and technology program;Establish the Gulf Coast Centers of Excellence for Ecosystem Restoration Science, Monitoring and Technology.
The RESTORE Act offers the best opportunity to help the Gulf Coast’s communities get back on their feet. The support of the people and businesses of the Gulf Coast is critical in winning passage of the RESTORE Act.